The International Association of Military Academies (IAMA) was founded in 2017 during the International Symposium on the Development of Military Academies (ISoDoMA) held in Canada, by Lieutenant-General (Ret’d) Michel Maisonneuve, the then academic director of the Royal Military College Saint-Jean. IAMA is a collection of prestigious international military academies that offer military trainings and academic education to cadets and junior officers. The association promotes the exchange of skills, knowledge, and expertise among member military academies.
The primary mission of IAMA is to promote knowledge and competency sharing in the training and education fields among its member military academies.
To fulfil its mission, IAMA pursues a coherent set of core objectives, including:
1. Sharing the best practices and approaches in the domains of general, professional, and military training and education for officer cadets.
2. Facilitating exchange of cadets, military personnel, or civilian staff between member academies.
3. Organizing regular events for member academies.
4. Developing and supporting an expanding network of military academies.
5. Developing thematic working groups to deal with specific emerging issues.
IAMA was first founded by the Korean Military Academy (KMA). Co-founders incorporate the following institutions:
1. Royal Military College Saint-Jean (RMC Saint-Jean; Canada).
2. Royal Military College of Canada (RMCC; Canada).
3. Karlberg Military Academy of Sweden (Militärhögskolan Karlberg; Sweden).
4. École spéciale militaire de Saint-Cyr (ESM Saint-Cyr; France).
5. Escuela Militar de Cadetes Gral. José María Córdova (ESMIC; Columbia).
6. Academia General Militar (AGM; Spain).
7. United States Military Academy (West Point; USA).
In addition to the above-mentioned list of co-founders, the following institutions are members of IAMA:
1. Defence Academy of the Republic of Kosovo (Kosovo).
2. Faculty of Military Science of Stellenbosch University (SU; South Africa).
3. Academia Militar das Agulhas Negras (AMAN; Brazil).
4. Helmut-Schmidt-Universität / Universität der Bundeswehr in Hamburg (HSU/UniBwH; Germany).
5. General Jonas Žemaitis Military Academy (Lithuania).
6. General Tadeusz Kosciuszko Military University of Land Forces (AWL; Poland).
7. Norwich University (NU; USA).
8. University of North Georgia (UNG; USA).
9. Ahmed Bin Mohammed Military College (ABMMC; Qatar).
10. Philippine Military Academy (PMA; Philippines).